Women's Advocates SAAM 2021 Campaign
Help Women's Advocates Help Survivors
Many victims of domestic violence are victims of sexual assault as well; the two forms of abuse are almost impossible to disentangle. The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence highlights these connections:
● Intimate partner sexual assault and rape are used to intimidate, control and demean victims and survivors of domestic violence.
● Intimate partner sexual assault is more likely than a stranger or acquaintance assault to cause physical injury.
● Between 14% and 25% of women are sexually assaulted by intimate partners during their
● Between 40% and 45% of women in abusive relationships will also be sexually assaulted during the course of the relationship.
● Over half of women raped by an intimate partner were sexually assaulted multiple times by the same partner.
We at Women’s Advocates are deeply grateful for your past support. We planned to launch our initiative earlier in the month, but out of consideration for all that our community has been going through, decided to wait. We are grateful for the step toward accountability that the Chauvin murder conviction represents and stand with our Black sisters and brothers in our resolve to continue working for justice and an end to police violence.
Sexual assault and domestic violence are ever-present and affect all races, ages, and genders. Women's Advocates believe there is always time to help survivors, so now we invite you to help us raise $15,000 to support those affected by sexual and domestic violence here in our community from April 29 - May 15.
These funds will be used to continue to support our:
- Emergency shelter and advocacy services
- 24/7 crisis line
- Violence prevention education programs
- Along with resources devoted to sexual assault and its aftermath
Give a gift to Women's Advocates today by supporting us here on GiveMN directly for our Sexual Assault Awareness Month Campaign, or use #WA4SAAM and share this fundraiser with your friends, families & networks now through May 15!
More about Women's Advocates
Formed as a collective-based nonprofit in 1972, Women's Advocates began as a divorce rights information line—a number for women to call for legal information and advice about leaving their abusive partners and changing their names. Within two years, they collected enough funds to make a down payment on the house at 584 Grand Avenue in St. Paul, Minnesota, opening the first shelter in the nation for women and their children escaping domestic violence.
Today, Women’s Advocates walks with victim/survivors and our community to break the cycle of domestic violence, through violence prevention education, emergency shelter, and helping to ensure survivors' safety after shelter.
Women’s Advocates provides shelter and critical advocacy services to domestic violence victim/survivors and their children, conducts crisis interventions and safety referrals via the 24/7 crisis line, educates students, professionals and community members about domestic abuse awareness, prevention, and services, and helps survivors create safe and stable lives in the community after they leave our shelter.
You can donate to our GiveMN Organization page at any time by clicking the Donate button above.
Visit us on our website to find more Women's Advocates news and events.