The Upper Midwest Flute Association (UMFA) is a flute organization for flutists of all ages, levels, and skills.
The mission of UMFA is to connect people from all backgrounds with a passion for the flute in the Upper Midwest through a variety of educational programs and resources, flute-oriented events, and youth-focused Scholarship programs.
- To promote the art of flute playing, particularly in the upper midwest
- To encourage the composition and performance of music for the flute
- To promote concerts, master classes and workshops featuring the flute
- To encourage fine instruction of the flute
- To foster the association of professional and amateur flutists and persons particularly interested in flute and music
- To publish a newsletter containing information of particular interest and importance to flutists
- To do all such other acts, support all such other programs and promote all such other educational activities that will stimulate interest in, appreciation for, and participation in the flute in the upper midwest
Our vision is to be the premier flute association in the Upper Midwest.
To fulfill our mission and achieve our vision, we are guided by the following values and principles:
- UMFA celebrates the long history of the flute and promotes the art of playing the flute in all its forms.
- UMFA encourages the composition, instruction, and performance of music for the flute. In particular, UMFA values representation from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and other marginalized populations.
- UMFA welcomes flutists from all backgrounds and skill levels. UMFA values and advocates for diversity in all forms across all of our constituents: our Board, membership, programming, guest artists, Scholarship award recipients and corporate partners.
- UMFA provides our members a wide variety of offerings including live and virtual events, digital communications via email and social media platforms, a music library and low flute rental program, educational and networking opportunities, and other programs that stimulate an interest in, and appreciation for, the flute.
UMFA has presented a wide variety of activities throughout the years, and it has built collaborative relationships with other arts organizations to build the local flute community. Throughout the year, the board works to provide events and programs such as lectures, demonstrations, workshops, recitals, master classes, flute choir showcases, and activities for students such as the Laudie Porter Memorial Competition, a Young Artist Competition, Honors Flute Choir and Flute Choir Showcase. UMFA developed an annual Flute Fest featuring an outstanding guest artist who offers both a Master Class and Recital; the flute fest also includes other educational and performance events as well as flute-related exhibits. UMFA works to enable performances of new and unusual repertoire for the flute as well as traditional literature, and the organization has occasionally commissioned and premiered new works for flute, often by local composers. Currently the board is building a scholarship program to help support local flute students in their musical studies. We hope to continue providing wonderful opportunities and resources for this region’s flutists for years to come!