At (SOMFAM) Somali Youth & Family Development Center we are building a stronger Somali American community by helping people of all ages learn how to live healthy and successful lives. Through mentoring and education we empower our Somali adults and youth to be self-sufficient, successful and contributing members of their families, schools, businesses, and both the Somali and larger Twin Cities communities.
We do this by:
Providing separate programs for men, women and youth that address the educational and health needs unique to each group so that families as a whole will become healthier and stronger.
- Connecting people with a comprehensive directory of community resources that exist across the entire Twin Cities metro;
- Applying innovative solutions that holistically address individual and community problems; solutions that strengthen our families and community;
- Develop wise partnerships with organizations to help make this happen.
Who we serve:
SOMFAM serves Somali immigrant families and individuals – the women, men, youth, and children who comprise the larger Somali community in the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
- Our resource center is available to all members of the Somali community who seek knowledge and access to resources that will help them improve their capacity to live a fulfilling life.
- Our adult services focus on those who face struggles in Minnesota due to language barriers, lack of education, lack of life and employment skills, and physical/mental health challenges.
- Our youth services focus on youth and children who struggle because of lack of parental presence and guidance, educational support, bullying, the lure of gangs and drugs, and physical/mental health challenges.
To nurture and build a vibrant, healthy and prosperous Somali community in Minnesota through multi-level engagement with families and youth.
To empower Somali youth and families to grow stronger and healthier through youth mentoring, family education, and connections with community resources.