We are small, but we are strong and determined
We are a small foster-based German Shepherd Dog (GSD) rescue providing safety, shelter, and love to GSDs and GSD mixes in need. Saving Shepherds of MN receives dogs from owners and shelters, both locally and across the United States. If we can help, we do!
Major medical cases don't slow us and our supporters down!
- We took in two PRAA puppies in 2021; Tracker in July, and Kismet in October. Both boys received the very best care and are on the road to recovery to find their happily ever afters.
- Maple was our biggest story of 2022. She came to us in November of 2021. After a grueling adventure of diagnostics and medical treatments, Maple ended up having all of her front toes amputated. Once she was finally discharged, she continued to visit the University of Minnesota twice each week for bandage changes. In late May, Maple moved into a permanent foster home. They wanted to adopt her, but we knew Maple wasn't ready to be released from medical care. So her new foster provided a forever home, and we still covered her financially. Maple was fitted for custom fit prosthetics and her new mom helped her learn how to walk in her new shoes. And then in happened - her feet healed, Maple was flourishing, and in mid-October, 2022, MAPLE HAS BEEN ADOPTED!
- Rip was suffering from intussusception and facing euthansia. We drove 4 hours - through the middle of the night, to bring him to the twin cities for life saving surgery.
- Tyson joined us in April 2022 after being hit by a car. His owner couldn't afford the surgery to repair his leg and opted for euthansia. Doctors reached out to us and we said yes!. Tyson healed marvelously from surgery and is still waiting for his adoptive home.
- Chance joined us August 2022. He had been abandoned in a home with 2 other dogs. They were left for months last winter without running water, food or heat. One of the dogs had already passed away before authorities found them. Chance was a behavioral nightmare - due to no fault of his own. He had been left to his own devices and was just a young boy that needed training - so we stepped in. He went straight to training once arriving to SSOMN and has turned into a wonderful dog!
SSOMN partners with professional trainers to help our dogs become well-adjusted family members. Often, the dogs that come to our rescue have limited training or none at all. Some are under-socialized and exhibit behavior issues that make them more difficult to adopt out or more at risk to be returned to us or dumped at a shelter.
SSOMN has saved a total of 760 dogs in our seven years of saving this beautiful breed!
As with many rescues, we run 100% on donations. Saving Shepherds of MN relies on the generosity of others with their time, talent, and monetary support. We absolutely could not do this alone and we want to thank our supporters from the bottoms of our hearts.
Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to learn about our organization. If you have any questions, please reach out at email@example.com.
You can find us on Facebook and Instagram! We also have a store where you can shop SSOMN swag. All proceeds from the sales of the items go back to helping our dogs.