The Historic Appleton City Hall was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on June 17, 1977. The building is historically significant as an example of the Richardsonian [Romanesque] style of architecture. Between 1895 and 1976, the Appleton City Hall housed the city offices, the local jail, public library, post office, fire department, and an Opera House that hosted lyceums and touring theater groups. From 1980 until recently, the Historic Appleton City Hall housed the offices and production facilities of Pioneer Public Television. It continues to be an architecturally significant building in downtown Appleton as unfortunately, in the last five years, four brick historic buildings in downtown Appleton have been demolished. Though those buildings were not on the National Register, they were buildings that made up the character of Appleton’s small downtown commercial area. It shows how fragile these historic buildings are and how important it is to be proactive in saving the Opera House and Historic City Hall to keep Appleton’s history and stories alive.