In 1987 Henry Somsen established the New Ulm Area Foundation in memory of his wife, Anne Duncan Somsen. His goal of creating a permanent vehicle that would serve the ever-evolving needs of the New Ulm area has been realized. Since its inception, the New Ulm Area Foundation has granted over $700,000 to local nonprofit organizations in the focus areas of art, education, economic development and historic preservation. Mr. Somsen's original donation has inspired others who wish to foster enrichment of the quality of life in the New Ulm area. Donations are given directly as an outright donation or as deferred gifts, which may include bequests, life insurance, trusts with charitable provisions or special purpose gifts in honor of a friend, family member or loved one.
Grant Focus and Examples
The earnings from these funds provide grants in the four areas of focus: art, education, economic development, and historic preservation. The following are a few examples of grants in each of these areas:
- Play productions by the New Ulm Actors Community Theatre
- Concerts in the local park as well as a concert by the Marine Force Band
- Historical art projects such as mural restoration at New Ulm Turnverein and reprinting of Wanda Gag book
- Development of youth networking and leadership building through Network New Ulm
- Contribution to economics for success in 8th grade with Junior Achievement
- Academic mentoring for children with ProKinship for Kids
- Kindness Retreat for 5th graders through School District #88
- Restoration of the popcorn wagon with the Brown County Historical Society
- Enhancement of Hermann Monument grounds and interpretive center through the Hermann Monument Society
The grant recommendations are made by the Grants Committee and approved by the entire Advisory Board twice per year. The Advisory Board is made up of individuals from various areas of interest in the New Ulm community including banks, retirees, retail business, and lawyers.
For more information about New Ulm Area Foundation, visit our website: http://newulmareafoundation.org/
Or visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NewUlmAreaFoundation