Reduce Waste in Minnesota, Improve Lives in Bolivia
MANO A MANO IS A SMALL MINNESOTA NONPROFIT THAT HAS A HUGE IMPACT IN BOLIVIAIn the US, millions of pounds of usable supplies – from medical items like gowns and gloves to other items like school supplies and construction equipment – are thrown away every year. Meanwhile, the rural poverty rate in rural Bolivia is up to 94%, and the most basic supplies are not available for residents in these isolated communities. Mano a Mano collects donated supplies in the US and ships them to Bolivia, where they are distributed to Mano a Mano’s network of clinics, other hospitals & clinics, other nonprofit organizations, and individuals in need from throughout the country.
THE IMPACT IN BOLIVIA - WHY THESE SUPPLIES ARE SO IMPORTANT
In October 2016, Mano a Mano held two distribution events at our warehouse in Cochabamba, Bolivia to distribute the 99,000 pounds of supplies that had been shipped from Minnesota earlier this year. For each of those 2 events (on October 8 and October 22), dozens of organizations from around the country traveled to Mano a Mano to receive donated supplies; some had traveled 2 and a half days to attend. Many individuals came to receive wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, and braces.
Here are a few of their stories (watch the video at the top of the page to hear from more recipients of supplies in Bolivia):
- Brian is a young boy whose legs don't work and is unable to walk. He came with his mother on October 22nd to receive a donated wheelchair. As his mother tried to speak to the crowd at the distribution event, she broke out in tears, overwhelmed with gratitude.
- A level 3 hospital from the department of Beni received an X-Ray machine, in addition to a large quantity of medical supplies. The director of the hospital was extremely grateful, and said that in their area they receive many referrals for broken limbs since they are the only hospital capable of dealing with these issues. He said that the new X-Ray machine will allow them to address many, many more of these emergencies.
THERE ARE 100,000+ POUNDS OF SUPPLIES WAITING TO BE SHIPPED - WE NEED YOUR HELP
Mano a Mano shipped four containers with more than 85,000 pounds of supplies - mostly emptying out our St. Paul warehouse - in June 2016; these supplies arrived at our warehouse in Bolivia in the past few weeks. In the four months since that shipment, our 15,000 square-foot warehouse has completely filled again with donated supplies, and we need your help to ship these much-needed supplies.
Your donation will help Mano a Mano ship at least 80,000 pounds of donated surplus supplies from Minnesota to Bolivia, which:
- reduces waste in the US, keeping these supplies out of Minnesota landfills
- ensures Mano a Mano projects in Bolivia are properly equipped and supplied so that they can provide quality service to the people that use them
- helps many people and organizations in Bolivia that don't have enough supplies
- every dollar donated ships supplies with an average value of between $12-$20
Everything that we are able to do is based on partnerships – by working together with many different groups, we can accomplish so much more than any of us could do on our own. Let's make a difference - in 2 countries, thousands of miles apart - together.