We’re here for you, Mac-Grove.
Volunteer. Donate. Support your Community.
Donate today to help make the Macalester-Groveland neighborhood a great place for everyone to live, work, learn, worship and play!
Macalester-Groveland is a dynamic neighborhood with bustling streets, local businesses, parks and playgrounds, faith communities, elementary schools and universities. Here, we enjoy bikeways, walkable streets, alley gardens, native gardens and Saint Paul’s first neighborhood-wide organics recycling program. Our neighborhood is a vibrant mix of families, seniors, business owners, students, renters and homeowners.
We are proud of our neighborhood and we want to see it continue to thrive; however, we recognize that there is work to do to better serve ALL members of our community.
Some of our work includes:
- Building community and bringing neighbors together with events like Mac-Grove Fest, Frost Fest, the Little Free Library Tour, and the annual neighborhood-wide garage sale.
- Recognizing the beauty and history of our neighborhood through programs such as the Alley Garden awards and the Century Building Plaques.
- Bringing you new ideas and opportunities through working groups, programs, and more! We also want to hear your ideas for the neighborhood – if you have a new initiative you would like to see implemented, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We develop and sustain programs that make our neighborhood more environmentally friendly, with initiatives like the 24/7 Organics recycling drop-off site and bi-annual community cleanups.
- We host community conversations on important issues through committee meetings, webinars, and various events. We help you get involved in government and community issues that affect our neighborhood, such as zoning, transportation, crime prevention, and community planning.
In 2023, the Macalester-Groveland Community Council (MGCC) continued to work towards representing and connecting all voices in the community:
- So far, MGCC Board and Committees have held over 50 public meetings in 2023.
- This year, MGCC has hosted many events and programs, including Frost Fest, two community cleanups, Alley Garden Awards, and the neighborhood garage sale. In September, over 1,300 community members joined us at Mac-Grove Fest to celebrate the businesses, organizations, musicians, artists, and residents that make Saint Paul a great place to live, work, learn, and play!
- We brought back the Home Improvement Fair, newly titled Home Improvement Workshop Day, in partnership with the Highland District Council in order to connect homeowners and renters with local businesses and nonprofits who focus on home improvement. Additionally, we brought back Mac-Grove Moves, a former event focused on encouraging walking, biking, and taking public transportation to and from destinations to win prizes from local businesses.
- We welcomed 7 new community members to our Board of Directors in 2023. In April 2024, elections will be held for 6 organizational board representative seats on the Board of Directors (see page 3).
- The Inclusivity Task Force visited the Minnesota Historical Society to learn more about the history of the Macalester-Groveland neighborhood in an effort to work towards a more equitable and inclusive neighborhood.
Thank you for your dedication to our neighborhood and your support of the Macalester-Groveland Community Council!