“You have been providing amazing, helpful, lifesaving assistance to my mother.”
- Letter to Lighthouse, October 2021
Our expanded mission:
Helping children, teens and adults challenged by disability, vision loss or aging live independent, vital lives.
The past two years have been nothing short of transformational for the Lighthouse. We have changed our name, expanded our mission, and added many new programs.
Our services are unique in the region and needed like never before! We offer multi-disciplinarian training and technology services. We have emerged as the leader in the Northland in assistive technology. We offer in-home services region-wide in occupational therapy, independent living and technology. We now have a large device lending library. We also continue to provide expert training to individuals of all ages with vision loss.
The Lighthouse is now organized into three complementary divisions:
Adjustment to Blindness (ATB) Division
Occupational Therapy (OT) Division
Assistive Technology (AT) Division
New programs in 2020 and 2021:
• “Tech for Healthy Aging” - a statewide pilot to help older adults live safe, connected lives by utilizing the power of technology
• “Legacy Computer Classes” for older workers in Duluth
• “Title III” Technology and Consultation services for older adults in the Arrowhead
• “Tech to Connect” – helping Northland seniors use technology to stay safe and connected during COVID-19
• “Broadband to Overcome Social Isolation” for rural seniors in the Arrowhead
• “Waiver Services” – offering assistive technology and independent living services for people with disabilities statewide who are on a Medicaid waiver program
• “MN STAR” offering device loans and demonstrations statewide
• “CCC” - We are designated by the Minnesota Department of Health as “COVID Community Coordinator” to help people with disabilities during COVID-19
Lighthouse programs rely on multiple sources of funding, including individual donations, medical insurance, special grants, and funding from the State and other organizations. We are rapidly expanding and diversifying our funding sources, but support from individuals like you will always be essential.
Your support can help ensure that we can continue to offer our unique and vital services to older adults and people with disabilities.