Literacy Mentor's in Action!
This collage is in honor of our Literacy Mentor's who have trained and worked tirelessly to build trusting relationships with our students in order to help the children on their journey toward literacy!
Our readers are our North Star!
As always, ESLC has got BIG goals this year! And we know that with you by our side, we can reach them together! So, as part of our #GTMD21 campaign we need you to help us raise $15,000!
East Side Learning Center is proud to be host to the AARP Experience Corp, this partnership empowers our mentors, students and staff to provide the highest quality literacy mentoring in the nation. A component of our partnership, is that every dollar raised as part of our #GTMD21 campaign will be matched by AmeriCorps! This is where you can make the greatest impact!
Partnering with parents to make the greatest impact
This year ESLC has launched its pilot program for Family Empowerment. With this, our dedicated staff member
Kymberly A. Findley-Miller, Family Empowerment Liaison
Kymberly A. Findley-Miller has been hard at work coordinating with the families of ESLC students to ensure they are supported too.
We know from research evidence that students whose families have equitable access to resources such as food, housing and community are more likely to achieve in literacy. Not only this, but this focus on the family prioritizes relationships across our community to strengthen bonds and support one another.
Kymberly works to ensure:
- Students have the technological resources to get online, if they are tutoring online
- Parents and families of ESLC students receive their tutoring materials
- Language translation support to foster relationship-building between ESLC and families
- Literacy goal setting and at-home strategies to achieve those goals beyond literacy mentoring
- Logistical resource connections through Unite Minnesota, a program designed to connect those in need to those who serve
- A robust community of parents and families that can share in their daily lives to support one another in the challenges and successes of family life
You make literacy happen!
In order to keep our programming free for all of our students and to expand our programming, we need you!
Consider making a financial contribution. The future of our most vulnerable children, who need just a little help to unlock their potential, rests with us! To support our families, parents, mentors, students and community - and with the help of our AmeriCorps match, you could get us to $30,000! By supporting our goal of $15,000, you will giving the gift of literacy today.
Don't have the funds, but still want to help!
Fundraise for us! Click the "Fundraise" button on our site and share your own story on why literacy and reading are so important to you!
Share on Facebook. Watch for our posts, like and share! The more views, the wider the reach, the closer we are to our goal!