Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.
– Arundhati Roy, Indian author and political activist
At the Alliance for Sustainability we’ve been seeking to respond to the new world we’re in, including the unprecedented challenges from COVID-19, the economy, climate change, threats to our democracy and the murder of George Floyd and so many other people of color.
We are addressing these challenges with some exciting new directions to fulfill the urgent need for sustainability, including equity, health, regeneration and kindness. We envision a healthy, just, equitable, thriving, kind and peaceful world that works for everyone, fulfills their fundamental needs and realizes our greatest dreams and vision of sustainability.
The Alliance was created nearly 40 years ago with a mission to co-create sustainability on a personal, organizational and planetary level. We’ve always defined sustainability as being ecologically sound, economically viable, socially just and humane, embodying our highest values in terms of how we treat people, animals and the earth. We hope you will join with us in co-creating this future with a free membership: www.afors.org
Here are just a few of the exciting new developments that will take place over the next month with your support:
• We’ve developed an exciting new partnership with Inclusiti-tee, a public benefit business that’s totally aligned with us. We’ve just done our first weekly half-hour podcast, Inclusivi-TALKS Sustainability: Creativity, Health, Equity and Kindness.
• We’ve also partnered with Inclusivi-tee on a fabulous new book, You Can Save the World, by Alliance Board member Lori Myren-Manbeck. We’re included in the book and will receive 10% of the profits. The eBook version will be released in Mid-December, just in time for giving as holiday gifts. And the actual book will be out during Earth month.
• In the coming month we’ll also launch our updated website, share our Declaration of Co-Creation and Interdependence, announce several workshops and hold two Town Hall Forums to hear your perspectives.
• In addition, we’re seeking to diversify our movement by hiring a part-time Executive Director and Executive Organizer. We’ll soon be posting job descriptions.
• And we’ll expand our efforts to inform and inspire individual and joint actions through a Campaign for Sustainability, Health, Equity and Kindness (aka, SHE Kindness). We’ll engage our members, create a viral video, utilize media and collaborate with our partners on policy. We welcome your involvement and support.
We're building on our pioneering successes in our First Forty Years to make sustainability mainstream using an open-hearted center of deep listening, empathy and collaboration. We welcome you on our journey to co-create a diverse, inclusive alliance of more than one million people and organizations working together for personal transformation and fundamental systems change. Take the next step by becoming a member.
We have five primary areas of work that build on our nearly First Forty Years of pioneering, successful sustainability efforts that have brought about fundamental changes and laid the basis for our Next Forty:
1. Be a pioneer, thought leader, content generator, convener and champion for sustainability through publications, social media, speaking, trainings, and public and private policy while countering those who greenwash and minimize true sustainability;
2. Inspire, inform, empower and engage all citizens to align their behavior, consumption and practices with sustainability, health, equity and kindness while encouraging them to participate in impactful action and policy;
3. Champion the shift to sustainability by all institutions, from business and government to educational and religious institutions, nonprofits, and communities;
4. Support public and private sustainability policies and campaigns by partnering with global, national, state and local organizations;
5. Build a diverse, powerful alliance of more than one million individuals and institutions that co-creates and collaborates to be a catalyst for transformation generating a tipping point for scaling sustainability, health, equity and kindness.
Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up.
And change is coming whether you like it or not.
Together and united, we are unstoppable.
– Greta Thunberg, Teenage Swedish climate activist