The mission is to enhance the capacity of adults with cognitive/developmental disabilities to become contributing members of their community
Southside Services has been providing critically important safety net services to adults with developmental disabilities for the past 42 years. Our agency is rooted in a strengths and relationship-based service philosophy that recognizes peoples’ abilities and values full community integration.
In 2012, Ricardo had just finished high school and was a first year student at Transitions Plus, a Minneapolis Public school that provides students ages 18 to 21 with disabilities support as they move from the school system to the next stage in their lives. This is where Richi first heard of Southside Services.
Richi has fond memories of what he worked on with each Southside Employee.
"I met with Jenna and she took me to get a first employment job.” He was hired at Tucci Benucch and worked there for over a year.
“I worked with Amanda to manage and control my expenses, and she helped me apply for a Hennepin County Social worker." This gave Richi access to many valuable resources.
“Stephanie helped me get a United States Passport card and move into my first apartment.” Richi has lived on his own for over a year, and was able to travel to Mexico with his family to visit cousins he hadn’t seen in years!
Richi still meets with Southside workers when he needs, and is always working on setting and
achieving new goals. He has worked so hard to get to where he is now and Southside has loved
being a part of that!
Here are a few testimonials:
- "I had no food, but thanks to Southside I was able to find and get a ride to the food shelf"
- "I was sleeping on different friends couches, but thanks to Southside I have my own place with all my own stuff"
- "Southside helps me live on my own!"
- "I was spending too much money and Southside helped me budget my money"
- "I am able to get out of my house and exercise thanks to Southside!"
- "I have been working with Southside for many years and I love It!"
- "Southside helps my life!"
During this holiday season, we ask that you consider making a tax-deductible donation to our organization, so that we can continue to achieve our mission of enhancing the capacity of adults with cognitive and other disabilities to become increasingly active, contributing members of their community. Within the context of a challenging economic climate, a series of government cutbacks has eroded support for local agencies and programs that provide safety net services to adults with disabilities, who too often lack the capacity to advocate for themselves. As a result, Southside Services is one of relatively few community-based agencies remaining in Hennepin County. Southside Services hard-working and passionate staff facilitated a wide variety of activities including some of the following highlights:
- Southside Services provided ongoing safety net services to 266 (unduplicated) adults with disabilities
- Our Community Connections program provided critically important crisis intervention and independent living support services to 178 individuals
- Our Therapeutic Recreation Services engaged more than 88 adults in a wide variety of Monday-Sunday activities that built social skills and confidence, reduced social isolation and promoted community integration (we are one of the few Hennepin County community-based provider that offers transportation – a key barrier to access).
- We provided 5,232 rides to participants during the year
- Our Therapeutic Recreation Services provided 193 small and large group activities during the year.
Going into 2017, we are embarking on a strategy to better communicate the need and importance of our safety net services. We ask that you consider making a year-end, tax deductible contribution to Southside Services. Your financial gift will help us continue to assist these adults in leading healthy, happy and productive lives.
We wish you the best this holiday season!