Food Project Mission:
The Northwoods Food Project connects, grows, and supports a sustainable local food system in Cook County, Minnesota from farmer to fork
Food Project Vision:
A sustainable local food system in Cook County where:
Farmers and food producers can access land, knowledge, skills, and support to provide food locally
All families and community members can find, afford, cook, and eat local food
This organization exists to:
- support and conduct non-partisan agricultural research, education, and informational activities to increase public awareness of food sustainability and local production within Cook County, MN.
- increase food health and safety
- increase food self-reliance
- increase agricultural economic viability within Cook County
We do this by:
- Co-sponsoring our local farmer's market
- Partnering with Cook County, Sawtooth Mountain Clinic, and SHIP to provide opportunity for customers to use supplemental nutrition programs (SNAP, WIC, "Together We Grow," and the "Power Of Produce") at the farmer's market
- Participating in the area Food Systems Network to increase cross-organization communication and support
- Working to develop a county-wide food growing system
- Providing educational resources to local food growers
- Providing educational links between food growers and county resources via lending library, media, classes, etc.
- Helping to develop, support, and maintain community garden sites
- Providing refrigeration space for local growers to store the food they produces.
- Hosting periodic in-person social/educational gatherings to share food, information, and resources
For more information, feel free to email us at: NWFoodProject@gmail.com