- Mary, a downtown business owner, needs money for holiday inventory. She is worried about not being able to make it through the year. We discuss available grants, loans and options from local lenders. We also set her up with a basic business plan model to get her going on the right track. (Strengthening Downtown Businesses!)
- James, a local artist, is down on his luck. He is in the welfare system and living with his family in a 2-room apartment. He has recently been burnt by a few people that said they would help .... they didn't. James really only has a cell phone with a few photos of his art work. We arrange to help him create a very simple marketing piece that he can share with dealers, galleries and prospective customers. (Helping People Help Themselves!)
- Paul, a local business owner, has invented a new product and wanted some ideas on marketing and business strategies. We discussed several options and plans giving him a much needed boost. (Inspiring Entrepreneurs!)
- Matt, a local college student, is looking for a part-time job and some basic business experience. He calls about working for our Helping Hands program and is excited to get involved with the NEC. (Engaging with Local Colleges!)
- Marilyn & Joseph are opening a new business this coming Spring. They have been coming to the NEC monthly to share ideas, set goals and to develop their business plan. They are progressing very, very well. They are now on the web page development and marketing plan phase. (Creating New Businesses!)
- Diane is a local writer that needs to get away from working at home. She has tried coffee shops (too loud), other options (too crowded) so she stopped by our NEW location to see our co-working space .. she loved it. She immediately booked the office space for the next Saturday and spent a quiet and relaxing day getting things done. (Community Involvement!)
- William, a local musician, has a few side businesses that produce a good income .. but has been a one-man operation for too long. He is wondering if he could afford to hire some employees so he stopped in the NEC to try out the Hired Hands program. If the interns work out well he plans to hire full-time employees. (Creating Local Jobs!)
A note from CHRIS, the new NEC director:
"I love this job! I have only been here a few months and have already been hard at it. ALL of the stories above are true .. and all happened in just the past few weeks. I was even lucky enough to get to help judge a local college's version of SHARK TANK! I spent an afternoon listening to 14 different business ideas from very creative college students ... that was awesome. The NEC makes a huge difference in Northfield! We recently moved to a new location and are enthusiastic and focused. You can be a part of supporting a vibrant Northfield business climate. I hope you will consider a donation to this wonderful local asset. I look forward to an exciting and profitable 2016!"
WHO: The Northfield Enterprise Center (NEC) is an outstanding resource for local businesses. We offer FREE 1-on-1 business consulting, a complete reference library, office space, internet/computer use, meeting/conference space, a Hired Hands internship program and FREE monthly Lunch & Learn info programs. We are partially funded by the Northfield EDA.
Stop by for a visit: 510 Washington Street, Northfield, MN