Northeast Minneapolis Arts Association (NEMAA) strengthens and supports our local artist community with resources, promotion and fellowship.
Centered in Northeast Minneapolis, we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving working artists both here and in geographically and artistically adjacent communities. NEMAA has over one thousand members, and is best known for producing Art-A-Whirl – the largest annual artist open studio tour in the nation. Our events make connecting with art and artists accessible to an ever-widening audience, both locally and beyond the Twin Cities.
- The path of a professional artist should be open to anyone, regardless of race, age, gender or socioeconomic background.
- Artists thrive in environments of visibility, connection, inspiration and collaboration.
- Artists are a vital part of healthy communities and are integral to the social, economic and cultural wellbeing of societies.
We support our members by providing:
- Promotion and Marketing. NEMAA provides an elevated platform for artists to display and sell their work, with year-round profile/online shop representation on our website, as well as promotion of artwork, news and events via our e-newsletter and social media channels to an ever-expanding audience. Our signature event each May, Art-A-Whirl, draws an estimated 50,000 people to Northeast Minneapolis to engage with art and artists directly in a fun, accessible and welcoming atmosphere.
- Calls for Art. NEMAA keeps members abreast of current calls for art, and facilitates connections between businesses and artists for sales and display opportunities.
- Education and Resources. NEMAA creates opportunities for artistic growth for artists through professional development workshops.
- Fellowship, Community and Connection.
NEMAA has over a thousand members, including artists, businesses, nonprofits and community supporters. NEMAA members connect to each other as friends, neighbors, clients, peers and mentors.
NEMAA membership is open to all, regardless of home address, possession of studio space or career stage. NEMAA keeps membership accessible with low annual dues, reduced dues for emerging artist, and free memberships for K-12 students. NEMAA also welcomes businesses, nonprofits and individuals as members. Our interconnectedness and inclusivity highlight Northeast Minneapolis as a vibrant artistic hub within our culturally rich state.