Your generous support is critical to the Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra (MSO). By donating, you not only sustain our tradition of providing free, high-quality symphony concerts to diverse audiences, but you also empower us to continue our mission of making classical music accessible to all. Every contribution helps us enrich lives through music, whether it's by enabling us to perform in convenient neighborhood venues, supporting our volunteer musicians' artistic growth, or creating unforgettable family concert experiences that nurture a love of classical music in young listeners. Your support ensures that the MSO remains a vibrant and inclusive community resource, bringing the joy and inspiration of symphonic music to everyone.
Our Mission and Vision: Celebrating Diversity and Music with the MSO
The mission of the Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra is to perform outstanding symphony concerts for diverse audiences throughout the Twin Cities metropolitan area. Founded in 1981,
The MSO has consistently performed from five to seven free concerts each season throughout its history.
The MSO is unique in the Twin Cities community both for the very high quality of its musicianship, programming, and performances, and for its emphasis on community outreach, providing free concerts in an accessible manner to diverse neighborhood populations. Our programming is musically challenging, yet accessible to audiences. MSO programs include diverse repertoire ranging from early baroque music to symphonic works from the 19th century, to modern compositions and new commissions.
The 90+ members of the Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra represent diverse ages, professions, experiences, and interests. The qualities they share -- their talents, passion, and commitment to high-quality music and performance -- are what help the MSO transcend a community orchestra. Many of our members are professional musicians in the Twin Cities community who play with the MSO not for pay, but for the unique performing experiences and challenging repertoire they enjoy. Some of our members are teachers, who find inspiration for themselves and their students in rehearsals and performances. Our members are also carpenters, doctors, computer programmers, financial planners, and students, who find MSO to be an excellent outlet for their musical energy. Whatever the reason for playing in the MSO, and whether a member since the group's beginning in 1981 or new to the orchestra this year, each member values the opportunity to share music with each other and the greater community.
Our core values and goals are:
• to invite new and diverse audiences to share the power and energy of live symphony concerts in convenient neighborhood venues;
• to perform the full spectrum of symphonic music;
• to encourage artistic growth in our volunteer players;
• and to work with host organizations to present and promote symphonic performances in their communities. The major objectives of the MSO’s family concerts are to:
• provide children and families access and exposure to quality classical music;
• attract and engage them in a creative way that helps deepen their understanding and emotional response to the music so that it will be remembered long after the concert;
• stimulate interest among young listeners through the interactive structure of the performances and the opportunity for hands-on learning;
• and make concerts accessible to people who do not have a music background or the financial means to attend classical concerts in other venues.