Hunger-Free KIDS Fund
Making Minnesota Kids Food Secure
Kids should only be hungry to learn!
Profile - Together, let's change the trajectory of hunger-relief for Minnesota's children living in urban, suburban and rural economic hardship. Hunger Impact Partners is laser-focused on high impact child nutrition strategies for after school meals, infant and early childhood food programs, childcare center meals and summer feeding programs. We worked to pass universal breakfast and lunch legislation in Minnesota schools, but we have more to do. Supporting a strong network of statewide schools and community-based organizations, we continue to strive to close the meal gap for hungry kids so they can access three meals a day 365 days a year. Nutrition fuels learning and without it we won't see Minnesota's children realize their full potential. We can't do this without your help.
Hungry infants and young children:
- experience delayed development, poorer attachment and learning difficulties in the first two years of life.
- are more likely to require hospitalization.
- are at higher risk for chronic health conditions, such as anemia and asthma.
- have more frequent instances of oral health problems.
Hungry school-age children:
- are twice as likely to repeat a grade and more likely to have lower math and reading scores.
- are three times more likely to be suspended from school and often absent from or late to school.
- show a heightened propensity for having isolating or anti-social behaviors and a greater need for special education.
This is a problem we can solve. Let's step up and make feeding food insecure kids a priority. Together we can remove barriers, address stigma and improve access to nutritious food for every disadvantaged Minnesota child so we don't lose another generation to the consequences of hunger.
We created the Free Meals for Kids mobile app to help children and their families find free meals. During the summer months the app shows locations of summer food sites, days and hours of operation. Kids up to age 18 can show up without prior signup and eat free meals at open site locations, including park and recreation sites, community centers, libraries and schools. The app shows the distance and directions to the nearest sites. During the school year the app helps families find childcare centers that offer meals, weekend and holiday meal pack programs and locations for after school programs that offer an evening meal. It also includes resources for families who are struggling and notifies users of opportunities to access federal programs for healthcare, tax credits and educational benefits.
Please join Hunger Impact Partners in supporting kids that need us most, so they are ready to learn, thrive in school and contribute to their local communities.