The Center for Prophetic Imagination works to subvert the existing social order through deep discernment culminating with creative action.
In the tradition of the prophets, we long for a world where all walls of alienation are torn down and we all live justly with one another, with the land, and with the Spirit of Life.
Towards this end, our work weaves together experimental education, contemplative practice, and creative social action, driven by these deep convictions:
- Jesus reveals a path to life amidst a death-dealing social order.
- The Spirit of Life that worked in Jesus’ ministry works in and among us to subvert our own systems of death, deprivation, and destruction.
- Through the practice and posture of discernment, we notice the ways the Spirit opens new possibilities for subversive action.
- The deep discernment to which we are called can only be found by sharing in the lived experiences of those experiencing marginalization and oppression—including but not limited to those who are Black, indigenous, people of color, queer, trans, femme, gender diverse, Muslim, pagan, neurodivergent, formerly and currently incarcerated, cash poor and working class, disabled, undocumented, immigrant…
- Our struggle against oppression is both outward and inward. We confront not only the institutions and systems and structures that control and constrain our material lives, but also the myths, beliefs, and ideas that shape and bind our imaginations.
- In discerning the work of the Spirit and following the example set by Jesus, we join in the prophetic vocation: to expose and confront forces of alienation and call people to abundant life.
- There is joy in the struggle. In solidarity, we find community. In discernment, we experience the Spirit of Life. As our praxis deepens, our prophetic imagination grows to show us a new world is possible.
- Liberation cannot come through self-negation. Discernment touches upon our deepest longing. And we become most like Jesus when we bring our full selves and our deepening creative capacity into the work of co-creating the new world.
To find out more about our programming, visit www.PropheticImagination.org